“I’m too busy. Where am I meant to set aside the time to find all the ingredients and then cook those healthy meals?! It’s too much effort. Honestly, it takes so long. I have other priorities…”
Have you said it before? Or thought it? I think we all have but it is possible to eat healthily and lead a productive, fast-paced lifestyle! I’ll explain how shortly but first, let me say this- saying: “I’m too busy” is just a form of mindset. And many of us are guilty of allowing it to limit our actions. When we limit our actions, it has consequences. “I’m too busy to eat right, I’m too busy to exercise…” Those are excuses that we frequently use.
Remember you need to be mindful- when you tell yourself something constantly you start to believe it. By constantly repeating that narrative to yourself your brain will start to believe it and subconsciously you will start to manifest it. Pretty soon once you start telling yourself your too busy you will actually be! Here’s the good news- you can do something about it! Start intercepting your thoughts and recognising the pattern. If you start thinking “I’m too busy to go to the gym/ I need to plan” etc then take a breath. Stop that thought and tell yourself “It’s a PRIORITY!”
Here’s an example:
“I’m going on holiday, I can’t lose weight on holiday or make the time to do so. I’ll be busy!”
But you’re not really busy on holiday, are you? It’s just a mindset and if you are mindful you can take active steps to make healthy choices and intercept those negative thoughts. I was at my biggest and heaviest when I went travelling and that definitely was not because I was too busy. If anything, it was the opposite, I found ways to keep myself busy and do everything and anything to avoid being accountable about my weight and nutritional choices.
I’ve been there. I know what it’s like. Do you know that: “I’m too busy!” is probably the most common excuse I hear from women who are struggling to lose weight and look after themselves. That’s why I created my programme. So those go-getters, career-driven women and people with limited time could get results and not spend their lives in the gym.
Heck, my life is super crazy with kids and running a business but every day I remind myself that it is a priority. Yes, I am busy and yes it can be hard, some days it feels impossible. I’m far from perfect, my lifestyle isn’t perfect and my meals aren’t always ideal but I’m not aiming for perfect. None of us should be. I know the world doesn’t revolve around me. I have a family and career that keeps me on my toes but I’ve managed to find a balance and I can now eat “just well enough” to be lean, healthy and happy with my body. Which is what we all want right?
Think about it like this: It doesn’t take you any longer to eat a salad than it does to eat a sandwich. So why not go for the salad and make better choices? It is possible to make eating well a priority and be happy with how you look- that’s why I’ve created this post for you. Here are some tips that will help you to eat healthily while you’re on the go.
- Do not try to diet and juggle your crazy schedule. It does not work. Why? Because dieting doesn’t work. Period. Trying to follow a strict diet and all the prep that it requires usually FAILS. Leaving you unhappy and right back where you began.
- Don’t aim for perfection. Learn to pre-empt and accept that some meals won’t be as great as others! Is it ideal? No. But its not the end of the world either! It’s all about balance and accepting that not every single meal you eat is going to be absolutely perfect. You can’t control everything so learn to let go and make the good things count.
- Be prepared by being smart about how you manage your time and groceries! Empty cupboards help no one. They often lead to bad choices, binges and ordering in too frequently. Two words: Online Shopping! It’s quick and it means you will have a fridge and kitchen that are full of healthier options. It takes far less time than an actual visit to the supermarket and that means saving precious time!
- Meal prep: No, it’s not only for people with loads of free time who collect Tupperware as a hobby, I promise. Contrary to popular belief it doesn’t take that much time either! Set aside an hour each Sunday and you can do one of the following:
- You can cook a few simple staples like boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge as a snack or make a batch of overnight oats for the week ahead. Add berries and yoghurt and you’re good to go. There are so many quick, easy options out there.
- You can cook in bulk, which is a lot easier than it sounds, and then you can divide the meals into portions for the next week or two. You can make a big batch of salad and put it into mason jars for the week ahead or you could cook a pot of beef mince for healthy tacos during the week. The options are endless and some quick research on Pinterest or the internet will have you well on your way.
So, there you have it, ladies. Don’t let the: I’m too busy” trap suck you in. Yes, there will be bumps along the way, yes everything won’t always be perfect and there may be some bad meals in-between but if you’re consistent then eating well and making the right choices will become second nature. That’s when the magic starts to happen and the weight starts to shift!
Let me know what you think in the comments. I’d love to hear from you. Any tips or advice that you have to share about how you eat healthily on a busy schedule? Feel free to share the love!
I’d love you to join my Free Facebook group “The Transformation Lounge” where you can be a part of a supportive community, with you all the way through your fat-loss journey.